It is not always possible to pay respects in person, so we hope that this small token will help.
Offer a gift of comfort and beauty to a family suffering from loss.
A gift to your family, sparing them hard decisions at an emotional time.
The Medicine Hat district has three beautiful cemeteries that are still in use - Hillside Cemetery, Redcliff Cemetery, and Saamis Prairie View Cemetery.
Hillside Cemetery has been in operation since 1886. Presently there are approximately 28,000 interments with well over 25,000 plots still available for burials. The estimated life within the present boundaries of Hillside Cemetery will exceed 60 years. Hillside Cemetery has designated sections for Anglican, Roman Catholic, Hebrew, Veterans, Children, and Cremation. Cremated remains can either be interred or placed in a niche of the existing columbarium placed in the scattered garden.
The Redcliff Cemetery has been in operation since 1915. The original cemetery plan included 960 plots. A second phase of the cemetery was opened in 2000. Currently there 1787 utilized plots, 338 are designated as cremation plots. There are 768 burials, 160 reserved plots.
The Redcliff Cemetery has designated sections for the Church of England, the United Church, the Roman Catholic Church, General and a Field of Honor for the Veterans.
SAAMIS PRAIRIE VIEW CEMETERY
Saamis Prairie View Cemetery formerly known as Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens was established in 1954. In 1965, Chapel Lawn was abandoned by the previous owners and an administrator was appointed by the Alberta Government. The perpetual care funds were exhausted in 1972 and the cemetery became the sole liability of the Province to maintain. In 1990, Chapel Lawn became the responsibility of Consumer and Corporate Affairs. In March 1996, CGRM Holdings Ltd. acquired the cemetery. Subsequently, the name was changed to Saamis Prairie View Cemetery, an underground watering system has been installed, roads now paved, upright monuments are now permitted, the sale of plots re-established, and most importantly a perpetual care fund has been established to provide for the on-going maintenance of the cemetery in perpetuity. Presently, a 1000 burials have taken place and over 10,000 plots remain available for burial. Special sections for Roman Catholic, Veterans, Cremation and a Fourth Columbaria have been established.